Sunday, May 5, 2013

Birthday

It was my Birthday Saturday and as always, it was a great day. I love Birthdays!

I woke up and was given strict instructions to stay in bed until S and Ted were back. They got home, S made coffee and I was asked to come downstairs, where I was greeted with this cake...for breakfast.
Following cake, I was given my gifts. A pair of leather ponte pants and a beautiful wool winter coat. We lazed around afterwards, before getting ready for lunch. I didn't know where we were going for lunch until we were walking in to the building. I love surprises and since I had chosen my Birthday gifts and knew what they were, I asked S to keep the lunch location a surprise.
He chose Gowings Bar and Grill which is the restaurant in the new QT hotel on Market Street (near the State Theatre). 
We decided to go with mains and desserts as I can never fit in a full three courses and dessert is an obvious choice for my sweet tooth. For my main, I chose the Fennel & Black Pepper Crusted Yellow Fin Tuna Steak. 
 Fennel & Black Pepper Crusted Yellow Fin Tuna Steak
Served rare, Jerusalem Artichoke Purée with a Warm Salad of Peas, Chervil and Red Onion - $44 

For his main, S chose the Tajima Full Blood Wagyu 9+ Flank Steak Northern NSW, 300g.
Tajima Full Blood Wagyu 9+ Flank Steak Northern NSW, 300g With Condiments - $54

Excuse the blurry photos of these two dishes, I didn't pull the SLR out until dessert had arrived. These mains were delicious and full of flavour. The components of the Tuna went so well together and the size of the meal was large enough to make me full but not uncomfortable. The wagyu had a perfect amount of crisp and a really amazing flavour.There was also a great selection of condiments available to go with the steak.

For dessert, there was no competition for me. As soon as I see profiteroles on the menu, the decision is made. In fact, I chose my dessert before I even looked at the mains menu. 

 Gowings Classic Profiteroles
Filled with Crème Pâtissière and Vanilla Ice-Cream, Drowned in Valrhona Dark Chocolate Sauce - $17

S chose a dish called  Apple Crumble Flavours which consisted of: Sweet & Sour Apple Empanada, Peanut Brittle, Salted Caramel Ice-Cream, Apple Pickle & Caramel Cider
 Apple crumble flavours - $19

Both desserts were so delicious. I honestly could not fault any part of our meals at all. The staff were attentive, but not in the way and they were helpful with the menu choices. 

After lunch, we had a wander around the city before heading home to have a nap and sleep off our sugar comas. 

The celebrations weren't over then though, as after we woke from our sugar coma's, my lovely friend K came over so we could head out for some drinks. We went to Jester Seeds in Newtown which is a great little cocktail bar. I'm not sure why, but Jester's is rarely full and we can always find a seat when I go there. Strange considering the other two cocktail bars in Newtown are always packed and you can hardly find standing room. It may be because it is at the other end of King St, but who knows.

We found a great seat upstairs in the 'Art Room' where we shared a bottle of wine. When I was ready to look at food again, we chose two 'share plates'. 
 Polenta chips - $8
 Bocconcini Balls - $8
Although small servings, they were a great size as neither of us were particularly hungry. 

It was a great day and I am so happy to have such wonderful people who spoil me so much!!

11 comments :

  1. Cake for breakfast!!! Well he's a keeper! And a delicious looking cake at that! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That breakfast cake looks incredibleeee!
    Happy birthday for Saturday!! You'll have to do a post showing off your new coat and pants!
    J had a work function at Gowing's not too long ago and spoke very highly of it; and your food looks so delicious!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, that cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Birthday! That cake looks so beautiful and the profiteroles to die for.

    PS: I'm hosting a Suigo hair pack giveaway; hope you enter: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/05/suigo-hair-review-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete