Wednesday, October 3, 2012

We win this time, Ikea

If you are a long time reader, you might remember this post, where I shared the details of our bed breaking. Yes, this was months ago. Yes, it has taken us this long to buy a new bed. 
Steve and I finally bought a new bed this past weekend. After searching high and low, we decided to just go back to Ikea and get a flat pack bed, since our staircase doesn’t allow for a readymade bed to be taken up without first removing part of the roof, perhaps some of the staircase..well, you get the idea.
 
The assembly of the bed began with all the bits and pieces being laid on to our bedroom floor. I opened up the instruction manual, took a deep breath and got stuck in to the assembly of the bed. I lasted two steps before it became clear that I can’t read instructions if Steve and I were going to come out the other side still a couple, I needed to remove myself from the room. So that I did. Instead of trying to ‘help’ I decided to put my domestic skills to good use and prepare dessert for the both of us.

 A nice homemade Apple Pie, straight out of the Ikea box it came in. I will give myself credit for being able to bake that apple pie perfectly. The perfect amount of crisp on the outside, with the right amount of warmth on the inside.
 
2 hours later, at 11:30pm our bed was made and ready to sink in to. Steve was sporting some nice blisters on his hands and Teddy and I were sporting faces that had sleep lines across them from falling asleep in the spare room.
I am pleased to say, our relationship has passed the 'Ikea Test'. We came out the other side still liking each other and still together.

Steve + Rhi - 1, Ikea - 0

3 comments :

  1. Haha I love the Ikea test!

    Before moving to Melbourne SJ and I spent an entire day putting together Ikea flat packs, bookshelves, tables, chairs, coffee tables, tv units...

    It was actually kind of fun and we came out of it laughing and swearing together.

    Made me feel secure that we were going to handle whatever Melbourne threw at us. Probably just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhiannon, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete