Tuesday, October 14, 2014

What should I be doing?

I know I have done a similar post to this in the past, but I got thinking again today and here you go, here’s another post.
 
Every now and then, I sit at my work computer and wonder what I am doing with this job. I won’t go in to exactly what I do, but it involves analysis etc. I graduated with a Bachelor of Business with an Economics major. Was this what I wanted to do? No. I started off wanting to be a Nurse, then decided I didn’t like the hours. I moved on to Landscape Architecture then wondered where exactly that idea came from and eventually landed on International Relations. Luckily, of those three ideas I only started a degree in one, International Relations. After a year, I wanted to move home to Sydney and transferred in to the Bachelor of Business when I realised a Bachelor of IR wouldn’t get me very far.
 
I’ve never had the overwhelming desire to land myself in any field. I never desperately wanted to be a Nurse, I never even thought about the job I’m in now. Not once did I think ‘yeah, being an analyst would be amazing’. I fell in to this job and while I am really grateful to be here and can see myself here for this chapter of my life, I can’t see myself here forever.
 
Over the past year or so, I’ve started to explore my hobbies a little more, hoping that maybe one day I can create an income from them. I know I love to help people, I know I am caring and like writing, sewing and taking photos. But I don’t know if I like any of them enough to make a job of it. The thought of re-skilling doesn’t appeal too much, so I want to focus on the skills I have now, to find out what it is that I should be doing in life. I often get the feeling that I am not where I am supposed to be. Maybe right now I am, but not for the long run, but I also find it hard to pinpoint where it is I should end up. I guess I am no clairvoyant :-P
 
One of the hobbies I have come to enjoy is writing. I know I am not all that consistent on this blog, or my new one for that matter (I blame Bali and my laptop cord breaking!) but those are not the only platforms that I explore writing. I am not a great writer, but I try often to explore my style, try new styles and better myself in general. I don’t have great hopes that this will lead to a job or income, but if it’s something I love to do, then why not spend time doing it.
 
I love to hear stories of how people ended up in their career, or how they have made money from their hobbies or previous jobs or even what their hobbies are (regardless of if you make money because money isn’t everything).
 
So, go ahead and tell me your story.
 
Do you have a business you run? Did you always want to be in the career you're in or did you 'fall' in to it? Do you want to be doing something else?

No comments :

Post a Comment