Monday, October 27, 2014

Spring Lovin'

I never knew I was a warm weather person until I went to Bali. Something about beaches, beanbags and mojitos firmly engrained in my mind that the beach and warm weather is where I need to be. So with the arrival of the warm weather (and then cold and then warm), I've been loving being outside. I'm not sure about you, but every time it warms up all I want to eat is salad. Refreshing, refreshing salads. A new favourite of mine, which can be eaten hot or cold is charred corn. This is probably not new to you, but if it is then all you need to do is put some corn on your open gas flame on the stove and cook the corn on all sides until it starts to cook. You'll know when, because it will look burnt. As per a recommendation on twitter, I top mine with coriander, parmesan cheese, salt, paprika and a bit of sour cream. Divine! 
I thought I used to love layering and wearing warm jackets and boots until the warm weather came along. Give me a pair of shorts, a tee shirt and sandals over layers any day. Seriously, how easy is it to dress in less clothing. For maximum laziness, I choose to also wear a hat to cover the hair I haven't done yet. Easy. 

Too bad the beaches in Sydney don't have bean bags and mojitos otherwise I would be at the beach every weekend. Unfortunately for me, sitting in my backyard with a book will have to suffice because another thing about Sydney beaches is the horrendous traffic and who's got time for that? Not me. 

Back to food, I'm trying to eat a little healthier after I ate whatever I wanted for a couple of weeks and over the weekend I threw together these pancakes. Not sure where I found the recipe previously, but I have tweaked it a little. It's just 2 bananas, 2 eggs, a bit of oat bran and a bit of almond meal. Mix or whizz it together and then cook them. So delicious and so easy to make. I topped mine with fresh blueberries, greek yogurt, almond meal and a bit of honey. The mug is my Husbands...he loves spreadsheets.

What do you love about Spring and the warmer weather?

4 comments :

  1. OMG that corn. I have never thought to put it on the gas stove open fire. I wrap them in foil and chuck them in the oven. Juicy, fresh and corny.. not as diluted as boiling. :) It looks so good.
    Do you top it off with butter and parmesan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to boil them. Oh the shame! I topped it with parmesan, sour cream, coriander, paprika, chilli and salt but I wouldn't usually have that many toppings. Usually just butter and whatever else I have in the fridge/pantry. Parmesan on corn is a new thing for me!

      Delete
  2. YUM!!! Charred corn - so simple. Will be giving this a go, thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So simple to make and so delicious. It cracks and pops while cooking too.

      Delete