Monday, February 10, 2014

Sewing - Simplicity 2444 in Silk Cotton

After a long 18 month hiatus with sewing, I have finally finished another dress. I used Simplicity 2444; a tried and tested dress pattern that has featured around here previously. The dress fits my figure really well, cinching in at the waist and then flaring out.

This pattern seems to be pretty easy to make and I found the hardest part was putting the dress together after I cut the pieces out a little wrong. Fine after I fixed it though. The hem is really hard to do, I've found and I don't even know if they match up to be honest. I still have a little work to do on the dress.

This is also the first dress I have lined which was a far easier process than I thought it would be. For the dress bodice I used a Lisa Ho silk cotton that I bought from The Fabric Store in Surry Hills. For the skirt I used a silk/cotton that I bought from Darn Cheap Fabrics (I also bought the bodice lining from there) and the skirt lining was a cotton voile I picked up from The Fabric Store. 

Even though I pretty much had to sew the dress twice due to my own cutting out, I found the process to be simple and the dress turned out well. In hindsight, I am not sure this pattern was meant for beginner sewers but since I've now made 3 of these dresses they are starting to look better. Can't wait to get back in to sewing and try out other patterns!
I love this photo. Ted came over to see what I was doing while I was trying to pose.

13 comments :

  1. I love your creation, Rhi. I would so buy this at a shop, it is gorgeous! You are so talented. I have never learned to sew, I don't think I have even tried patching up little holes before =x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I love the solid black skirt paired with the print on the bodice. Great photos too! Can't wait to see what u make next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to sew again. Fingers crossed I get something out this weekend.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous!! You made a fabulous dress!! The fabric choice is really gorgeous. You look so shapely and feminine in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I love the fabric - so soft and nice to wear.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful dress. How adorable is Ted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted just loves to get in my pics when I try to take them haha.

      Delete
  5. It's totally awesome that you can make your own clothes. I like that design and think it suits most figures. I'd totally buy this too like Mandy, if I saw it in a store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is so lovely! I really love you dress! Followed you. Hopefully we can follow each other.
    Xx Tara
    thisindiansummer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Rhiannon (I just found your blog through Cate's). I really admire people who have a talent for sewing (and your dog can pose!) Love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, yes he certainly can pose. Though, usually he is running away from the camera :-P

      Delete