Thursday, April 11, 2013

Memoirs Aren't Fairytales - Book Review

 I had gone through a period of not reading anything because I couldn’t decide what to read next. I decided I wanted to read a memoir type book, so I typed that in to the kindle book store and Memoirs of an Addict was one of the first on the list. I read the blurb and liked what I saw, so downloaded the sample before I just purchased the book (it was only $2 from memory). I thought the book was an actual memoir about an addict, but it is not.

From the start to finish of this book, I was absolutely drawn in. I spent my bus rides to and from work and more time at home reading the book and was done in a matter of days.

Although Marni Mann has never experienced addiction (at least I don't think so - based on my research of her), her descriptions and the way she articulates the scenes in this book make you think she was the person the story was written about. It is so evident just how much research was done in the way she portrays her characters and addiction.

The story is told in first person by the main character, Nicole Brown. It is her story of moving to a new place, addiction, loss and the way her life changes. Once a girl on the straight and narrow, Nicole loses her way and the story is very intricate in describing her new life. She is a character that you love and hate.

I highly recommend this book. It was one of those books that you read and will remember for a long time.

As I said, if you aren’t in to graphic scenes in novels or don’t like reading about drug addiction etc, then this book is not for you. It does not hold back and the descriptions are sometimes very confronting and intense.

If you are on goodreads, I have recently signed up and my name is Rhiannon. I don't really know how to use it yet, but I will learn - I'm sure.

Have you read this book or anything similar?
 I would love some book recommendations for similar books!

No comments :

Post a Comment